G1 toys, cartoon & movie

Talk here about the older generations of My Little Pony.
Nights

G1 toys, cartoon & movie

Postby Nights » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:36 am

Back in 1984 Hasbro licensed out the My Little Pony rights to sandy Duncans to create a TV series to promote it's 1983 toyline and the result was two TV specials called My Little Pony rescue at midnight castle [ premiered in 1984] and My Little Pony escape from Katrina [premiered in 1985]

In 1986 Hasbro premiered My Little Pony the movie in theaters worldwide, the movie was an utter failure at the box office but Hasbro continued the movie in the form of a cartoon series taking place right after where the film left off known as My Little Pony "n" Friends and later integrated the two TV specials as being part of the series episodes.

When I was six years old I use to watch My Little Pony "n" Friends with my two sisters and I remember my sisters getting ponies for Christmas in 1989 and I played with those toys along side our stuffed animal toys and watched the movie at my cousins house, years have passed since I saw that show until I bought the Complete series box set for my oldest sister.

The show hasen't aged well and nor does it hold up in these modern times compared to cartoons of today nor does it hold up when stacked up against the timeless classic that is Sonic sat-am, the very first MLP has bad vocal lyrics in it's intro theme and horrendous voice acting throughout the series and never improves and the stories are hit and miss.

The show wasn't consistent as it kept changing it's pony cast to the point it was apparent that there was no main cast since the show kept jumping from toyline to toyline trying to promote whatever Hasbro had on the market at the time of random pony toys.

If there's one thing in this world I truely hate the most it's this feeling in side of me where my common sense clashes with my fond memories creating this rift of a [like] vs [hate] on one hand I like the show based on fond memories from when I was a kid and yet on the other hand I hate this show now that I see all it's horrible flaws as an adult... Except the movie which was horrible to me as a kid and still is horrible to me after watching it again as an adult.

What about all of you, what did you think of the show and movie as a kid and what do you think of them now that your older?
Astranova

Re: G1 toys, cartoon & movie

Postby Astranova » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:35 am

Honestly I LUV the show and brushables from G1!!! No offence to everyone else, but it's my fave gen next to FIM :)
Nights

Re: G1 toys, cartoon & movie

Postby Nights » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Looking back on it when compared to My Little Pony Tales and the G3 videos I say My Little Pony "n" Friends was the best.

G3 is all bland with nothing to offer.

My Little Pony Tales offers a good cast with distinct personality traits to tell the ponies apart of who is who but the shows stories are boring because nothing exciting happens in their lives while living in the suburbs.

My Little Pony "n" Friends does not have a consistent cast which does disorient the viewer at first every time the cast changes but there's plenty of episodes for the viewer to get use to each cast, what makes this show better then then the other 2 is the fact that it keeps my interest due to having stories about the ponies always being in danger living near a forest filled with monsters and magic.

Return to “Older Generations”