The cart before the ponies

This is the place to talk about the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic show the Equestria Girls Movies
Nights

The cart before the ponies

Postby Nights » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:14 pm

S6 episode 14 - description

Ponyville holds its annual Applewood Derby, a kart race where the school children are to drive their own self-made vehicles with the help of older ponies. The Cutie Mark Crusaders enlist Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity to assist with their karts.
Keldeo Raritite

Re: The cart before the ponies

Postby Keldeo Raritite » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:17 pm

Wow, this was a weird episode. Not because of the concept, but it had some of the best moments and some of the most cringeworthy moments.

Spoiler: show
The Positives:
-Cheerilee was really funny this episode. From wanting to teach the foals physics to acting as a cheerleader, she was great.

-Filly Rarity losing to Filly Derpy had me laughing my head off! XD

-Just the entire concept of the episode. Not too out there, but different enough to be very enjoyable.

-The subtle references to Wacky Races in the song. Also, hoped to see at least one Mario Kart reference. I did see Bulk Biceps wearing a red hat and the stallion next to him wearing a green hat in a blink and you'll miss it moment in the song. Extremely subtle nod, but it's something.

-The moral was wonderful. Sometimes older does not mean wiser and you should listen to your kids. Something that all helicopter parents need to learn.

The Negatives:
-Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Applejack were at their absolute worst in this episode. They made it feel like Show Stoppers 2: Revenge of the Sisters. They were pretty out of character and it almost felt like they were being downright spiteful to the CMC. Heck, AJ almost sounded like Spoiled Rich at one point when she mentioned that the Apples only followed tradition!

-Why didn't the CMC just switch partners if they all wanted to make a different cart than they wanted? This whole mess could've been avoided that way.

-Whoever designed the cloverleaf shaped racetrack needs to be fired.

TL;DR So many great moments mixed with so many bad ones it balances out to be just an ok episode. 7/10
Nights

Re: The cart before the ponies

Postby Nights » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:12 pm

A reference to Wacky Races is nice an all but I felt this episode really didn't need a song, I hated AJ's attitude when she mentioned tradition and the fact that she made her cart slow and telling AppleBloom it's slowness is the perfect speed really annoyed me because it's a reference to that one episode where Applejack becomes way too overprotective of AppleBloom.

Filly Derpy is better at cart racing then filly Rarity, Derpy truly is best pony. :D

It was a good episode that had some bad moments but the good moments make up most of the episode, even though it wasn't original I enjoyed it for what it is.

Return to “Friendship is Magic and Equestria Girls”