Why Bronies Hate g3

Talk here about the older generations of My Little Pony.
EclipsedFlame

Why Bronies Hate g3

Postby EclipsedFlame » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:17 am

Bronies are known for being a fan of the show "My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic" but have a hatred for the previous generation, why you ask? I'll tell you. As a Brony myself, I can say the main reason I don't like g3, is the design. In my head, they look creepy but even creepier on merchandise box artwork. Idk why but I just am scared of them .-. Another reason I have is its plot line. The show is very girly and has too many girly colors and attitudes in it which affects the way I look towards the generation. My last reason is, the horrible names. Like really, how would you like it if you were born with the name Twink-a-tink-a-too... I honestly don't really hate the show, it just doesn't have any of my interests in it.
I Eated yuor babeez ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nights

Re: Why Bronies Hate g3

Postby Nights » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 am

Yeah I don't like the character designs either or everything being all pink like popcorn, ice cream and amusement park rides and a lot of places they visit, the only character I like is Star Catcher since she looks like a prototype of Celestia.

I'll admit I do like Dancing in the Clouds and Friends are Never Far Away videos, also there's a G4 designed toy of Skywishies as a part of the Cutie Mark Magic toy line.
Tara

Postby Tara » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:32 am

Lauren Faust, an avid fan of previous MLP gens, also went on record saying she didn't enjoy Gen 3, although I don't think she gave a reason why. I can see the point of discontent in the show. The writing is pretty abysmal at times, and the voice acting is kind of annoying. The character personalities are usually based around a single trait, and a lot of the fans of MLP I knew at the time also say they didn't like how the characters looked. Especially when they tried to make baby versions of the character, most notably Scootaloo.

I like gen 3, because it's a show that's written strictly with the thought process of making little girls happy. It doesn't have the complex plot and characterization of Friendship is Magic, but for a simple, cutesy show, it's pretty heartwarming at times. But I understand where the disdain resonates.

EclipsedFlame wrote:The show is very girly and has too many girly colors and attitudes in it which affects the way I look towards the generation.

FiM is just as if not even more girly than its predecessors, and the color scheme is just as feminine in tone. The only difference is that they're a bit more intelligently used, because gen IV has a much more competent art direction in general. The fact that you personally enjoy it does not make it any less girly.
CottonTALE

Postby CottonTALE » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 am

Well, I agree that the design wasn't too pretty for it... I have to give credit where credit is due. Without Gen-3, we wouldn't have had a lot of characters/ pony toys in Gen-4. A good portion of characters re-use names and even colour schemes from Gen-3, such as (these are just the ones off the top of my head) :

Scootaloo (species change with a different hair colour)
Sweetie Belle (species change, but same basic colour scheme)
Cheerilee (the toys used her G3 design for a long time)
Fluttershy (name only)
Rarity (name only)
Pinkie Pie (her colours were reversed, that's just about it)
Applejack (name only. I know she closer resembles the G1 version, but there was an applejack in G3 too)
Rainbow Dash (species change)
Blossomforth (name only)
Minty
Flower Wishes (name only)
Skywishes
Star Swirl
Sunshimmer (her design is pretty on-par with Sunset Shimmer, just add a unicorn horn)
Spoiler: show

Sweetsong (species change)
Wysteria

And don't get me started on the Blind Bags, lots of them come from Gen-3 as well.
Collect All The Fluttershys :D
Snowy

Postby Snowy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:42 am

Brony here and surprisingly I actually got into previous gens. Story behind this is my mom's friend's daughter. One day she found out I like ponies, and her dad said she needed to get rid of some things by throwing them out. Rather than just toss, she actually gave me A Very Minty Christmas on DVD, and she gave me a G3 pony Waterfire, since she wanted to share them with someone who loves ponies.

I watched that DVD, and honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. Minty was cute, she was like the "Derpy" of the era, a bit of a klutz. I even had G4 Minty as a blind bag pony I just tossed aside thinking it was some unknown character (back in 2012, nowadays I love all the ponies, even if they aren't characters on the show), after seeing the movie, I was more than happy to have that blind bag. Minty is now one of my favorite ponies.

It's not as big with me as G4 is, but I still like it. I saw Twinkle Wish Adventure after mom got the DVD of it for cheap, I thought it was cute. Runaway Rainbow, also had castles, remembering this off-hand, even shared names with two elements of harmony, as well as had one called friendship. Stories for both of these involve friendship and Runaway Rainbow has breezies in it. Though different, it seems G3 shares similar elements to Friendship is Magic. As for G3.5, I actually like Toola Roola, just the idea of a pony artist was rather cool since I like drawing sometimes.

At least that's just what I think on G3 and G3.5. Still haven seen anything on G2, or much of G1. If a generation made me hop onto eBay to buy a G3 My Little Pony GBA game, it must have done something I like (will say aside from the fashion mini game, the GBA game actually lives up to the movie. Music, graphics, and story, was mostly adventure game with mini games). I can understand why some may not like it, as it has that "girlier" (lack for a better phrase) feel and look to it.
PaddlePro

Postby PaddlePro » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 pm

I don't hate G3.In fact, i pretty much like it,the only generations i can't stand are g3.5 and newborn cuties(and MLP tales a little)I don't have any problem with the design, i find it cute.I watched a very minty christmas, and i liked it.Sure, characters aren't developped as g4, there aren't any pop culture references and there's no badass villains like discord or chrysalis, but i like this simplicity.Also minty is love, minty is life.I really want her to be in g4.
Nights

Postby Nights » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:40 pm

I forgot about A Very Minty Christmas, yeah I liked that one and I do have a 2 inch Minty figure.

So that makes 3 Gen 3 movies that I like but the rest of them are terrible.

These are the good ones

•A Very Minty Christmas
•Dancing in the Clouds
•Friends are Never Far Away
cutegladgirl

Postby cutegladgirl » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:59 am

As a fan, my favorite Gen is G3. I do love the G4 and currently collect all my favorite figures! I do have a little of every generation. I especially treasure my original G1 ponies. I have watched all the previous series of ponies and I'm okay with all. I know it was more geared towards young kids and kids enjoy anything cute. But the original series bring back so many awesome memories. Watching ponies in my crib and playing with them. Haha. That was back in the late 80's!

For the new G4, I actually love all the colors. They are great. Pinkie Pie being my fav from G3. :-D I will have am army of Pinkie!

But anyways... I feel even if you don't like a specific gen, it should all be appreciated it. FiM wouldn't be what is it now if not for it's predecessors. :-)
fakiescarlet

Postby fakiescarlet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:32 am

well i grow up with g3, so i adore it. i might also be the only brony that like g3.5.... memories! but seeing ppl say g3 and earleirr makes me think they dont know that without it g4 wouldnt even have existed
Snowy

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:57 pm

fakiescarlet wrote:well i grow up with g3, so i adore it. i might also be the only brony that like g3.5.... memories! but seeing ppl say g3 and earleirr makes me think they dont know that without it g4 wouldnt even have existed
Nope! I have Twinkle Wish Adventure on DVD and a Toola Roola book. You're not the only one.

Return to “Older Generations”