Why Bronies Hate g3

Talk here about the older generations of My Little Pony.
SapphireRain

Re: Why Bronies Hate g3

Postby SapphireRain » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Sorry, but I don't quite understand why people would hate the older gens.
If they're just not your thing, that's ok. But what I don't get is trashing them and pushing them away just cuz they're not FiM.
Or because they're "girly?" They're really no different than FiM. The cartoons are a hit and miss with what individuals would like to see.

Also, I think it's important to remember that back then, it was about toys. Now it doesn't seem too much that way (at least to me? when you keep releasing the same six characters over and over with some others sprinkled in once and a while.)
she/her or it/its pronouns please (sig image credit) (avatar credit)
Snowy

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:38 pm

SapphireRain wrote:Sorry, but I don't quite understand why people would hate the older gens.
If they're just not your thing, that's ok. But what I don't get is trashing them and pushing them away just cuz they're not FiM.
Or because they're "girly?" They're really no different than FiM. The cartoons are a hit and miss with what individuals would like to see.

Also, I think it's important to remember that back then, it was about toys. Now it doesn't seem too much that way (at least to me? when you keep releasing the same six characters over and over with some others sprinkled in once and a while.)

I think Tara puts it perfectly as she points out it was to make little girls happy and plots weren't as complex as G4. As a result, some bronies who love Friendship is Magic seem to hate G3 because it's "girly" when they compare it to G4. I do agree, even Friendship is Magic can be "girly" at times. Ponies are pastel colored (which is obviously a standard for MLP in general), there's rainbows, you have your princesses.

Merch wise, I often times if I see kids MLP shirts at stores like Target or Walmart, they tend to be more "girly" than those sold on WeLoveFine (although, some of the brony/guy shirts are cute from them, I have a dark blue shirt with Fluttershy and she has flowers in her hair. This was listed as a "men's" shirt). Personally, I don't mind it as I've always like cute things, most of my MLP shirts are men's sizes but usually leaning for the cuter looking ponies rather than cool and subtle. Yet, they aren't "overly girly" for lack of a better phrase since it's a brony/guy shirt. When you really think about it, MLP merch usually has a lot of pink attached to it, and pink is often associated with girls. Also, I have seen a makeup set in the cosmetic department at Target when I was helping mom look for something.

If anything, I got into G3 thanks to the girl I mentioned earlier in the thread and having a general interest in MLP. I even know a few bronies who like it.
Nights

Postby Nights » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Sometimes a franchise has to hit rock bottom in order to realize the direction it was going in was bad and changes for the better.
PaddlePro

Postby PaddlePro » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Rock bottom for you, that is not a little girl that is the primary target of g3.G3 is not epic, full of pop culture references and mature, but it was never meant to be like that.It was just a simple show for little girls, and i think we should see it that way.Sure i prefer g4 over g3, but i don't hate g3 like some others bronies.
Nights

Postby Nights » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:06 pm

G3 is for people who have low standards and don't care if it's bad or getting worse.

Sonic games are full of colorful characters and Amy Rose is pink, bright colors are for both boys and girls so you can't say ponies are ment for girls because they are of different bright colors.

Also guys can like pink since it's a punk color.

Kids are not stupid and companies shouldn't treat them like they are but Hasbro did it anyway with the mlp cartoons by writing extremely simple storylines which isn't what kids wanted, kids want real stories not stories of let's play with the pink ball and imagine it's somethibg else.

Sonic sat-am has great quality, as the saying goes in the sonic fan base "why settle for less when we've had better"

So why go backwards to settle or enjoy the not so good mlp shows that offer less when we can enjoy a better show like FiM with more content to offer which creates high standards by those who watch it which the company now has to keep up the high quality so they don't dissapoint the fanbase.
Sunset Shimmer

Postby Sunset Shimmer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:39 pm

aside from reading some of the books and having runaway rainbow PC as a kid, i didn't see much of the G3 media, so i can't say anything for that. however, there's no problem with having slice-of-like stories with no overly dramatic plotlines like how G4 is. i appreciate g3 for what it is; a toyline with many designs of different kinds, as well as a little more [read; media]
Snowy

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:51 pm

It's not so much G3 is "bad" or "low standards", it's just a generation of My Little Pony for its time. I think 2005-2009, I'm not sure on that. Who knows, maybe kids who grew up with G3 or G3.5, may like it a lot. Sorry if I disagree with that bit.

Not to mention some people may have gotten into G3 or older because of Friendship is Magic. Sometimes when people become fans of something, they like to take the plunge into its history. :) I'm personally glad I gave A Very Minty Christmas and Twinkle Wish Adventure a shot, I really enjoyed them both, as well as the G3 DS and GBA games.
Nights

Postby Nights » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:55 pm

That was my negative side showing but I'll stop there as I don't want to ruin anyone's good time here so I'll focus on the positives older gens have.

Among a lot of the bad of what Bronies hate from older gens there's a treasure chest of good ideas, concepts and elements, I noticed the good stuff in each show.

After getting into Friendship is Magic on March 4th 2014 I ended up checking out the G3 movies and G3.5, as bad as they are I spotted some good stuff.
Snowy

Postby Snowy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:08 am

It's alright Nights, don't worry about it. ^^

All this G3 talk is making me want to play Runaway Rainbow on my GBA again. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow, getting a bit late over here.
Nights

Postby Nights » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:55 am

I've seen screenshots of that game and to my surprise it looks fun since it looks like a platformer, I also saw screenshots of a Pinkie Pie game for GBA.

Return to “Older Generations”