What's the deal with Applejack? (and others)

This forum is for the Friendship is Magic toyline. Discuss new findings and many more like Brusbables, Plush etc.
Ilona
Site Admin

What's the deal with Applejack? (and others)

Postby Ilona » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:15 pm

So I've noticed a pattern. When it's about a 3-pack it always seems like the 3th company sellers use Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle. One of each species. You see these 3 almost all the time together. Sometimes Fluttershy gets added to and the same goes for Rarity. But a LOT of time the whole mane six was included except for one... Applejack. Even when there's enough space for all, AJ gets left out? Why? My guess is that she is too... bland and not so unique. She resembles a regular pony the most, but still...

It would also be fun to post all kinds of "AJ gets left out again" images. Just to see how many times this happens.
Snowy

Re: What's the deal with Applejack? (and others)

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Ah, a friend and I nicknamed them the "mane 3" as Twilight, Pinkie and Rainbow Dash are always on any form of merchandise. When Funrise first started plushies? Who did they release? I'll give you three guesses. Or how about Ty? I'm sure Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy were part of a second wave, because they sure weren't in that first wave.

Never understood why Applejack always gets left out. I bought awhile back an MLP backpack for traveling, before they did back to school and got new styles, and Applejack wasn't even on it. Thankfully I put an Applejack clip on the zipper to make up for it. Still it's kind of interesting.

Also, I wonder if Applejack will appear on more merch, especially since the current "Friendship Is Magic" collection is pretty much just the Apple family.
PrincessGwenevere

Postby PrincessGwenevere » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:18 pm

I think Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash are the three biggest sellers-- at least here in the US. Poor AJ has never sold that well, at least in my part of the world. :(
PaddlePro

Postby PaddlePro » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Rainbow is a tomboy and have a rainbow mane, pinkie is pink and twilight is the main character.So these are the ones that have the most chance to appeal to little girls.For AJ she wasn't that important in the first seasons, so maybe it's because of that (also that's why she's called best background pony by the fandom, even if i don't really like this name).
Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Wow look at these amazing backpacks of the mane si.... Nevermind... http://www.mlpmerch.com/2015/08/new-plu ... d.html?m=1
Rares

Postby Rares » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 pm

To be fair, Pinkie Pie, Twilight and Rainbow are arguably the biggest characters of the series. Pinkie and Rainbow are probably the most recognizable characters, and Twilight, while I wouldn't call her the main character as the rest of the Mane 6 are really important too, is most certainly the "Optimus Prime" of the show, and as such needs to be up there with Pinkie and Rainbow. On top of that, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are incredibly marketable, look at all the merch they have of them in particular, or anything with them simply slapped on it. Like I said, I think it's just because they're the most recognizable, like what Bumblebee is to Transformers at this point.

Rarity and Applejack however, I have no idea why they're always left out. And it really feels like they are. Not solely by Hasbro, I noticed it heavily with things like Funko too, like how they "replaced" Rarity and Applejack with Doctor Hooves and Derpy in their Pop! line, and even when they released more Pop! figures, they're still no where to be found. Rarity was even the last of the Mane 6 to get released with the Funko line, after several background ponies. What was up with that?
Rarishy

Postby Rarishy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:26 pm

To respond to Rares comment, I always wonder why funko leaves rarity and fluttershy out. My theory was because there hair is eleborate and long I figured it would be expensive to produce a mold of. But then you can arguement about celestias hair now so I'm not sure what the deal is. I know Fluttershy is fairly popular among fans too..
Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Rarishy wrote:To respond to Rares comment, I always wonder why funko leaves rarity and fluttershy out. My theory was because there hair is eleborate and long I figured it would be expensive to produce a mold of. But then you can arguement about celestias hair now so I'm not sure what the deal is. I know Fluttershy is fairly popular among fans too..

If you look at some of their other pops you can see that some of them have some incredible details. The pony's are quite simple in comparison to them. Man I really hope they make a Rarity one. (and AJ as well)
Rarishy

Postby Rarishy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:55 pm

AJ and Rarity would be awesome! (Aw, imagine a AJ with her hat! It would be nice to have the mane 6 even for just display purposes...I am a bit anal in my character placement on my shelves.
EclipsedFlame

Postby EclipsedFlame » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:03 pm

My theory is...

Hasbro hates applejack ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I Eated yuor babeez ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to “MLP FiM Merchandise”